Monday, April 9, 2012

Video Game Music is Excellent

First off, thank you for all of the comments and opinions on my entries thus far.  It really gives an extra level of value to have you all read my entries and develop thoughts about them.

Now, to the entry.  Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending the Video Games Live concert in Bethesda, Maryland.  The experience was unique: to see the worlds of the symphony and video game culture combined is a treat for someone like me.  I've grown up with classical music and video games, and I'm happy to see that some of the great works found in video games aren't going unnoticed.  The orchestra played selections from the Legend of Zelda, Halo, Final Fantasy, and many other game franchises.  When I first walked in and had my ticket accepted, the first thing I heard from the staff at the Strathmore was "We have a young crowd today."  This is perhaps what I most appreciate about this concert series: video game music is an incredible avenue for younger generations to experience classical music and to have the honor to hear stellar orchestras like the National Philharmonic.

I'm writing today to share a couple of songs I heard at the concert with you, because hearing them live is certainly on my list of some of the best things I've had the chance to experience live.  Certainly, hearing these through YouTube won't be the same experience but nonetheless, I hope that you will listen and simply appreciate it for what it is: stellar music.

I'll share a couple songs with you today.  First up was a piece that was performed for the very first time at the concert I attended.  With assistance from the University of Maryland's Gamers Orchestra (which has 120+ members), Video Games Live arranged and performed this work from Final Fantasy VII, one of the most legendary games in history.  This version is a piano solo but features the same striking chords and melodic themes.



Secondly, and to close the entry, I give you something that is instantly more recognizable to our generation: the Halo theme.  My girlfriend will tell you the same thing: hearing this performed live is totally epic and an amazing experience.  Fewer things in music make me happier than when the drums kick in and the low strings bring in the theme.  [With this recording, you may want to skip to about 1:10 in; the first choir part can drone on a bit]



Now, let's be clear: experiencing the music isn't the same as experiencing the music with the game.  If you haven't tried it, you totally should sometime.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen music from both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross played by the video game symphony Play! (though on YouTube). It was really good. Sometimes you don't think about the music while playing games but some of it's really, really good.

    ReplyDelete